Saly recently tagged me in this meme, and I promised to participate. True to myself, it’s been a while, but here I go!
A picture of me!
I have no idea what to do with my face when I’m taking a picture of myself. I feel ridiculous smiling, so I end up making this weird face.
Eleven things you might not know about me.
1. I wasn’t raised in a religious house, but I went to a Catholic university and was baptized Catholic while I was there. We now attend a non-denominational Christian church. A friend of mine calls these “power point churches.”
2. I am currently addicted to oatmeal. I had never made oatmeal on the stove before, I guess because I assumed that it was hard. It isn’t. It is delicious with a healthy sprinkling of brown sugar.
3. I have been a stay at home mom for almost as long as I was employed post college. This makes me think some things about working and my “career” and retirement. I haven’t organized my thoughts on this, so I can’t really say much more.
4. My very first job was at Pottery Barn. Oh, how I didn’t appreciate the employee discount at age sixteen. From there I went to work at The White House, which is now White House/Black Market. We had to wear all white or neutral clothes, all the time. That wasn’t my best look, but it did introduce me to the disappearing magic of nude underthings.
5. My parents live near the beach, and my kids and husband love the beach. I like the beach in theory, but I think I’m five or six years away from enjoying it again.
6. In more news that will probably have me kicked out of southern California, I far prefer colder weather. I think I was meant to live in the Bay Area.
6. I have never colored my hair, but I dream of being a brunette. I covet my daughter’s hair.
7. I like talk radio. It’s the sole reason I maintain my XM radio subscription – because I can access ridiculous talk radio all day long.
8. Speaking of talk radio, I really miss Rosie O’Donnell’s radio show, which she left to do her show on OWN. I hope her TV show is successful, but I also hope that she’ll come back to radio someday. Edited: Apparently I am behind the times and Rosie was cancelled earlier this week. I’m not all too surprised as it didn’t seem to be doing well, but now I hold great hope she’ll come back to radio. Come ON Sirius/XM, we don’t need replays of the Pet Psychic show in the morning!
9. I’m a cat person, and I really miss having cats. Other than my first two years in college, this is the first time IN MY LIFE that I haven’t had a cat in the house. I do enjoy the lack of a litter box, and that is the one thing keeping me from weepily begging my husband for another cat.
10. Someone finally bought the house next door to ours. They haven’t moved in, but they have been by the house a few times and I totally accosted them the other day. People in this neighborhood are NOT friendly, but I am determined to make this a fun place to live. I love my house, so all that is left is for me to love my neighbors. Fortunately, they were very friendly and their oldest will go to school with Bub next year, and their youngest is just a few months younger than Bubette. I’ve got good a good feeling about them.
11. I am a homebody. I prefer my house – or another familiar, comfortable house – to pretty much anywhere. The exception to this rule would be meal time. I will gladly eat out as opposed to making my own dinner.
Now for Saly’s eleven questions for me.
1. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be, and why? Do they pay people to watch television and read books from the comfort of their couch? If I could find a way to do that, I would be golden. Honestly, I loved teaching, but I also love being at home with my kids, too.
2. What is your favorite flower? I just like big bunches of anything. Even that giant bunch of pink carnations that Carrie Bradshaw received on a long ago episode of Sex and the City was beautiful, although I would tell you that I don’t typically like carnations.
3. What is something you regret? Not forging a better relationship with my brother. It feels like now that we’re in our thirties, it’s too later to start.
4. You are in a frou frou coffee shop. What do you order? Well, I’m off caffeine now, but I really like a soy latte, or just a lightly sweetened iced coffee.
5. What is the best thing that you cook? Huh. I’m not so awesome in the kitchen, but I just made the most delicious french bread recently.
6. Where is your favorite place to vacation, and why?
7. What’s the weirdest thing in your refrigerator? Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream – a fairly decent substitute for the real thing, honestly.
8. Do you collect anything? The closest thing I have to a collection would be my Havaianas flip flops. It’s kind of an addiction.
9. You have an entire day alone with no plans. What would you do? A day is not enough! Truthfully I would order food in, catch up on my DVR, nap and read a book or the giant stack of magazines on my nightstand.
10. Who is your #1 celebrity crush? I don’t really have one. I used to ADORE David Eckstein, who apparently isn’t in baseball anymore. That crush sort of fell off the radar when he left the Angels.
11. How do you like your eggs? Mixed with a little milk, soaked into bread and turned into french toast.
Well, that was far more effort than I imagined it would be. I’m not tagging anyone because so many people have already done this, but I would love to see your own list of eleven things. Leave it in the comments, or post it yourself and leave me a link!